Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Game Dev Journal 03

New Assets! Also a story...



I have a small problem with pixel art. Nothing that would stop me from doing it happily, but enough of a problem that I sometimes sit back in my chair, look at my screen for a little bit, sigh, and pour myself something with tequila in it before getting back to work.

Let me explain...

I am a decent artist, not a great artist, but a decent artist. I have a rough workflow and process that I follow when it comes to an idea like enemy design. Specifically, this little guy:

I am very traditional and structured when it comes to this process. I start with a flowchart and sketches to figure it out.

    

Once I finalize the idea, I go ahead and do a final work-up of the concept into something presentable.

Pretty rad if I say so myself.
Proud of my work, I go ahead and present it to the developer and lead for the project where it is workshopped, critiqued, and finalized.

Now I can begin the real work! Finally, after all of the time I've spent on conceptualizing, drawing, and putting together a presentable spread I can go ahead and do something really amazing annnnnnnnnd...


Oh, uh... I guess I'm done, and it's still light out...

Well, shit.
While I enjoy working in pixel art there is something to be said for the final product...

Anyway, back to work and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment